The Orioles will not win the 2023 WS, and may not make the playoffs...and that is Ok

OnlyOneOriole

10 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

Gunnar Henderson is the American League Rookie of the year, is still hitting nearly 20% above league average after/in a slump, and playing great defense. How many 21 and 22 year olds are doing this exactly? 

I understand and as I said I am a big G man fan.  I probably had too high of expectations this year. 

2 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

MVP? 6.0 WAR player? What were you expecting at age 21.5? Gunnar is amazing and without a comparable peer in the American League. 

Mainly a higher batting average.  He has hit HR's and driven in runs at about the pace I expected.  Defense is exactly what I expected. 

6 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

IMO their hitting is better.  D not nearly as good.  Pitching?  Could be better but it hasn't been great this year.  If their pitching gets hot they could make some noise. 

Their hitting is better than what? Ours? We've scored 44 more runs than they have. Their pitching is good but players like Kikuchi are playing over their head right now. 

3 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Their hitting is better than what? Ours? We've scored 44 more runs than they have. Their pitching is good but players like Kikuchi are playing over their head right now. 

Hitting is better as in imo top to bottom they have better hitters as far as pure talent.  Doesn't mean they have hit to their potential this year.   They haven't.

That is what scares me about them.  If they get hot at the right time, and they have the talent to, they could make some noise. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

1 minute ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Hitting is better as in imo top to bottom they have better hitters as far as pure talent.  Doesn't mean they have hit to their potential this year.   They haven't.

I'm definitely going to disagree with that. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Well remember before the year started lots of people picked Toronto to win it all.  They have talent.  They are still 5th in batting and first in ERA for the year.

They probably should have a better record.

Sure they have talent... and so do we. And prognostications are always wrong. The Yankees were picked to win the division by most. So were the Cardinals. Padres were supposed to be good. This is why the games are played.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

IMO their hitting is better.  D not nearly as good.  Pitching?  Could be better but it hasn't been great this year.  If their pitching gets hot they could make some noise. 

I was wrong here.  I didn't realize their pitching was that good this year.  First in ERA.  Very surprised by that.  They definitely should have a better record than they do. 

First in pitching and 5th in batting.  Meanwhile the O's are middle of the pack in both.  Goes to show you how stats aren't everything. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

To put things into perspective,

Austin Hays is batting 7th in our lineup right now. He also hit 7th and started the ASG.

We’re a young team. We’re just getting better each game. Especially guys like Adley, Gunnar, and Westburg. 

For sure.  That is why I believe next year we will win it all.  Those guys plus a few others called up plus any new additions from outside the org should give us a really young, exciting, winning team.

Grayson is pitching like an ACE. Ok, so he can only give you ACE level for 90 and not 110. That 90 is pretty darn ACE level. 

Also, at this point in the season, you are what you’re record is. The Padres and Blue Jays “should” not be better. I see a lot of teams out there that people “think” are good, and their lineup 5-9 is terrible. Houston included. 

My biggest worry is that we are wearing out our best relievers.  I also think it's possible Cano and Bautista have also played over their heads this year. 

Cano has been showing some cracks over the past month, as in he's not as dominant.  Inherited runners are scoring more on him.  Bautista is now putting himself in some pretty big jams.  When expectations get really high, as they are now, it's easy to succumb to the pressure.  Seeing Bautista's performance in the All Star game - where he as just over-throwing and struggling to command anything gave me a glimpse of what he might be in Big Stage situations, like the playoffs.  Against Houston, he put himself in two bases loaded jams in the games he pitched.....he lost one, and got out of the other.  I'm interested in seeing if he remains as dominant as he has been.  I'm fearing that he won't,  and hoping I am wrong.

And a quick WTHeck - last night, down a bunch of runs, we get a shut down performance out of the bullpen.  If we're up 3 or 4 there, why do I feel like we'd find a way to make it a 1 or 2-run game?!?!

8 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I have said throughout this year that anything the O's do this year is just a bonus.  Next year is the year I expect them to be very good.

I think their success this year has kind of led us fans into a fantasy that is not based in reality.

If you really look at their lineup, from starting pitching to relief to the lineup 1 through 9?  It is good, but not elite.

We don't have even one dominant ACE, let alone 2 like some teams.  Our relief pitching outside of Felix?  Very VERY average.

Our hitters?  Lots of good hitters who can get hot.  Some no names having career years.  And lots of first and second year players who get hot....and then  get not hot.  Which is what you expect out of first and 2nd year players.

When they play teams like LA or Atlanta or Houston?  Honestly I expect them to lose 2 out of 3.  Just what it is. 

So to expect them to win 3 series in the playoffs against those same type of teams this year?  I think that is asking a lot.

I would be very happy to win the division this year or even a WC.  I don't expect them to win a playoff series.  And as I said that is ok.

Next year? I expect a lot.

This is just ridiculous.. every team has flaws..and if you went to the fan forums of those teams you would see some who are doing just what you are .. seeing the flaws of their team while elevating how fantastic other teams are. 

The Orioles this season play as well as any team.  If they are playing well in late September and Oct then certainly they can win the WS.   Winning the division and having the best record gives them a bye and a home field. 

I went to the World Series in 1969 and there was a team playing us who were “worse” at every position and on the mound ..you probably know how it turned out. 

I have seen many vaunted “aces” get clocked in playoffs and WS. 

The only thing that is a fact is that we are in first place with the AL best record.  So bring on your mighty other teams!!